Wednesday, December 23, 2020

Russian Movie in Space Part 3

 

Second sky-diver reveals her bid for Spaceflight


Since the last update on this project, at the Space Sleuthing Blog, not too much has happened, at least as far as the public, and the applicants, are concerned. The closing date for applications for actresses and other qualified women, was extended to 31st December 2020. This suggested that, perhaps, interest was a little slower than the organisers had hoped, although with a fairly tight deadline, until the planned launch, in October 2021, a one month slippage seems quite significant. (Russia looking for woman to steal Tom Cruise thunder)

A number of Russian actresses and TV presenters have expressed interest in participating, including Zoya Berber and Regina Todorenko,  although how serious, or well-qualified (apart from being professional actresses) any are, remains to be seen. In addition, Channel One encouraged potential candidates to share their audition video using the hashtag #хочувкосмос.  Again, the numbers doing so, suggest there are not a huge number of applicants.

We’re also delighted to have talked to another promising, skilled and enthusiastic candidate, who has submitted an application, and who hopes to be called to the next stage of the selection process, early in 2021.

Anastasia Barannik came to prominence in Russia, and beyond, several years ago, as a teenage sky-diver, competing in International competitions, while combining that extreme sport with her successful modelling career. She now is a Master of Parachuting, and a twice champion of Russia in her class, and a bronze medalist at the Sky-Diving World Cup, having now completed over 1300 jumps.

Back in 2018, Anastasia had told a lifestyle magazine that her next goal was to try and fly into Space, but she had quickly realised this was an incredibly difficult dream to achieve.

Asked about her reaction to news of the Movie in Space project, Anastasia, now 25, explained,  “When I first heard about this competition I was consumed with complete excitement, and a desire to participate, by any means. I could see that it was an unbelievable opportunity that needed to be seized. To even have such a chance to fly in space is a dream come true.

She added, “Not too long ago I had the amazing opportunity to visit Star City and go through some of the training which cosmonauts undergo. This included the centrifuge, (to 3.8G) vestibular simulator and a flight on an Illyushin IL-76, where I experienced weightlessness on ten parabolas in the air. All my medical readings were normal, and I completed all the tests with flying colours. Flying in a aerobatic jet plane, and experiencing significant G-Forces is something else I have handled, without problems.”


Although Anastasia does not consider herself an actress, her modelling career has given her many opportunities to perform, and to project her personality. She explained, 
In addition, because I've been dancing and modeling for many years, the stage, the camera, filming, shooting, and performances are no strangers to me. I’ve also done some acting in TV commercials.

Regarding the physical fitness requirements, Anastasia feels positive, Sport has been an integral part of my life, ever since I was a child and still is. I am confident that I can meet all the physical and athletic requirements and cope with all the challenges.I am not afraid of any difficulties, and I am ready to perform the required tasks and move towards the goal.

Clearly, the organisers have not set out all the requirements which contestants will face during the planned Reality TV show, due to begin in late January. At some point, this will included the centrifuge, and other trials which Anastasia has already completed, during her visit to Star City. 

It terms of the spaceflight itself, and exactly how the flight plan is structured, Anastasia naturally has some gaps in her knowledge, at this early stage. “I haven't studied the details of the actual spaceflight in depth yet, but my interest has always been there and I have a general understanding and idea of what is involved. I know that I am ready, both mentally and physically, to do this. The idea of climbing aboard the rocket, and being launched into space, doesn't worry me at all. I feel that it will be the happiest moment of my life. To serve art, science, and my country, would be everything.

 When achieving my goals in life and triumphing in one field or another, the last thing I thought about was fame and fortune. I was always driven only by the desire to overcome obstacles. To improve my skills, and to put my best foot forward.

To conclude her thoughts, Anastasia believes participating in this project is her fate. “Just ahead of us, is the New Year, 2021, which means it's wish-granting time. I have always believed in fairy tale, in miracles, in good things happening.

Looking at Anastasia’s story, and also Svetlana, who we talked to here Svetlana's bid for Space there maybe a comparison, and a synergy, with the last time Russia looked for an ‘ordinary’ woman to send into space, in double quick time! 

On that occasion, in 1963, a parachutist, Valentina Tereshkova, was chosen. Maybe, almost 60 years later, a parachutist, such as Anastasia, or Svetlana, will again turn out to be the best choice!

By late January, we should begin to see if this project is going to proceed, and who the first group of candidates will be! Good luck to Anastasia and Svetlana, in making the very important ‘first cut’’.


No comments:

Post a Comment